Re-debut....donning my dancing shoes....errr...payals?!!

I realised today how much I miss dancing.

Flash back:
Five years old...or six, I don't remember exactly but that's the time we, my sister (who is a year and a half older to me) and I started our formal training in dance. I have vague memories of this time. But I remember going to class, sometimes dad would drop us with mom in tow. Yet mostly we would walk to class that was a good 2/3km walk those days. Come to think of it, I really amaze at the ease with which we used to get every where by walk or by cycle, while now my car and I are inseparable (in-spite of the lectures I give my children on global warming...hmmmm that's another story!). I remember getting there on cycle, chauffeured by our all in one helper...Ramasamy, if I am not mistaken...
We used to spend quite a lot of time in class. That was also because our teacher was a friend of my parents and she also really liked girls....having two boys herself. It was our second home. Sometimes we would even have our lunch or dinner at "Teacher's" house, as we waited for Dad to pick us up.
Their house also had a wonderful West Indies Berry tree, that gave us some wonderful red, juicy and slurpicious fruits in season, which we would happily pluck and horde and gorge with joy.
We danced and danced and enjoyed those sweaty hours spent in class, star students that we were. I don't know if I cribbed too much about going to class, but we danced through 12 years of class!!

Present:
So what happened in the interim was a slow withdrawal, that happens after marriage and childbirth. Not necessary but inevitable in my case as I stopped practice and slowly went into a self imposed exile brought on by lack of opportunity and confidence.
Yet now I vow to grab opportunity whenever I can. So here I am practicing for a group dance that we are doing for the arrival of a VIP in the station. The heady joy of practice sessions, hurrying through chores to get there with player, CD and dupatta!
Absorbing the "Taal" the beat, the "Sur" the music and getting into the rhythm. Such sweet pleasure.
The enthusiasm, interest, sincerity, and involvement of the ladies, takes me back to my college days where we lived on stage.(Like pub hopping; at college we would fling ourselves into "Cultural" frenzy, dancing here, singing there, auditioning here and winning there!!)
Discussing costume and jewelery, hair do and coordination. It is indeed with nostalgia I write these words, waiting for the day of my re-debut on stage after 15 long years....

Comments

  1. Great! So you are a dancer too?? What is with me and my affinity to dancers? My sis (actually cousin, but i lived with them so she is really like my sis.... ) learns both bharatnatyam and kathak and is a fab dancer! my sis in law too is a dancer and now has her own class in tiruppur .. two of my best friends are not dancers but they love to dance! and me, I have two left feet and wont dance to save my life! and now i learn that u are a dancer too! Now I HAVE to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear sowmya , the post brought back so many memories. one of dance class ... searching for the dance sari ...missing sunday ramayanam .. having orchestra practise.. the hot horlicks after the practise . amma biting her nails if i missed a beat. once my salangai gave way and managed to pretend the bell following was an effect... once my head piece started following and that was serious stuff..
    college culturals i truly miss. the buzz, missing class , feeling important and pratising anywhere . once we rehearsed an item going triples in a traffic light.
    so nice you are getting back .... all the best and enjoy the rush

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your enthu is transmitting from the monitor. Enjoy your time and rock on! Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem