Bon appetite!

This post like an entree, short and crisp.

Another pet peeve of mine is regarding food.
I love my rajma, chole, paratha, paneer, and peas pulao. I can unabashedly partake of such a meal, especially one that is the home cooked version.
Yet...my crib is why is this the only menu on the table when one is invited for dinner?
Menu planning in my house, I mean in the house I grew up, was done by my father much to my mother's dislike. Yet over the years she resigned herself to this, and inspite of her disapproval of some item on the menu she would make it with no compromise on quality.
Ah, coming to the menu; well, my father would neatly balance couple of South Indian items with couple of North Indian ones, and throw in a Continental item number too ( a baked veggie, if he felt like it)!
Complete in my mind...creative and loads of room for learning.

But nowadays when we are invited to eat, be it a person from the South or the North, I find the chole/paneer/paratha platter glaringly boring.
Come on I wonder, why can't the Malayali serve us some yum Idiyappam/Appam and stew/
Why can't the Kannadiga serve us some Bisi Bele Huli Anna?
Why cant the Andhraite serve us some Peserattu?( Ok this one would be slightly cumbersome on the tummy, especially at night.)
But I guess you get my point by now.

Yes, what with our posting order out, we are doing the rounds. Farewell dinner invites are pouring in left, right and center...thankfully over the weekend only.
I know it is pretty nasty of me to be gorging on freebie dinners and passing snide remarks on my blog!
But ladies lets make the most of our country's rich and varied heritage.
The next time you throw a party, sneak in an item number from your Mother's cook book and see how the guests come salivating for more.
Bon Appetite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem