She has helped me say what i want to say to my Amma


Life

LIFE, believe, is not a dream
So dark as sages say;
Oft a little morning rain
Foretells a pleasant day.
Sometimes there are clouds of gloom,
But these are transient all;
If the shower will make the roses bloom,
O why lament its fall?
Rapidly, merrily,
Life’s sunny hours flit by,
Gratefully, cheerily
Enjoy them as they fly!
What though Death at times steps in,
And calls our Best away?
What though sorrow seems to win,
O’er hope, a heavy sway?
Yet Hope again elastic springs,
Unconquered, though she fell;
Still buoyant are her golden wings,
Still strong to bear us well.
Manfully, fearlessly,
The day of trial bear,
For gloriously, victoriously,
Can courage quell despair!

 I looked for words within me but could find none, so searching the net, I chanced upon some immortal words by Charlotte Bronte.
Death has visited our home to guide my parent to another paradigm.  
Life is till alive for all of us to celebrate the way she lived rather than mourn the way she died.
I let her lean on me and stroked her grey hair. Courage and strength was her forte, but she needed me to be all that, then and there.
She taught me everything while I was busy trying not to learn. She showed me ways that I may or may not have remembered. Yet she stood by me holding my hand and telling me not to be scared, for her time had come while I watched and watching her go was harder than I could bear. 
Amma, you lived a majestic life and chose to die majestically too...
You live in me as long as I live and in thoughts that I share with my children as well...

Comments

  1. Sowmya, All of us have to live that day when we see our parents leave us one by one and one day our children see their parents leave them one by one. That is the only truth of life and in Hindu Philosophy the whole aspect of life death and life as a cycle is described as Maya to help us bear with the pain and pleasure of death and life equally well. One day you will over come the pain of your mother leaving you like I and your father and others have when we lost ours long ago. But the emotion that you go through is understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sowmya, no words of comfort can heal your wound. i remember commenting on her 60th birthday post you made. God be with you, dear. TC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sowmya...I have not met you...but I was a friend to your mom in Inner wheel and also having lost a parent at a very young age...I could imagine your pain..A small tribute from my heart for her....

    17 January 2013

    A Tribute to Mrs. Prabha Rajan



    Soft and gentle, Elegant and ever charming

    As a wife, mother and friend in the roles she did

    She cherished every bit of it with a smile and wit

    The fragrances of the mylapore temple flowers

    And the music of the margalzi month showered

    As she interacted with each other in our Inner Wheel

    Kindly and gently, she spoke but was strong in her views

    Silently and surely, she gave stories of lives to this world

    In her writings, she related things closer to her heart

    In her singing and books, she showed her excellent arts

    The warmth of a gentle soul is for sure missed

    The brightest smile is truly disappeared in her passing away

    Courage and smiles she showed as she struggled through illness

    The zeal to live and quest to give that made her the best

    Thank you dear Friend, whom today we dearly miss

    Miss from being amongst us in the meetings we do

    And miss from the celebrations we lined up in few

    However, true to our hearts, we are grateful to you

    For the friendship and goodness you left behind

    We would carry on the foot prints of your thoughts

    And would cherish your memory dearly and for long!

    May god bestow the best of rest to you in his heavens

    And bring in solace to your bereaved family and friends

    May your soul Rest in Peace, Dear Mrs Prabha Rajan

    You would for ever live in our thoughts and hearts



    - Written by Umasree Raghunath, Inner Wheel Club of Madras South

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem