~Scripts that we read ~

 
I have made many comments on Roles we play.
Every individual in his lifetime plays many roles... and so on and so forth....

But have you ever heard the Scripts?

Have you heard yourself at any time?
Actually Heard yourself as you repeat statements that have been fed to you over time. Stuffed inside your head, forcing you to say them at the appropriate time.
"do your duty"
"try and satisfy them/their(others) needs "
"obey your elders"
"dont speak when elders are speaking"
"dont talk back "


I am sure there are many many more such statements that we spew forth in our effort to correct and educate.

These are scripts that we have heard and we store in ourselves and that we automatically use in a situation that is deemed appropriate.
Every role has a script and this is my crib for today.

Why do we use these words and patterns of expression?
Individuals need to break free from such confining words and attitudes. Roles restrict us and we tend to play the part without understanding the content.
So also, we say  the words but we dont actually understand the impact of the words or the need for the words or the fact that the words can be phrased in a different way to convey the same meaning.


Yet again we need to question the meaning behind these confining words as well.

What is duty?
Is duty a blind obediance to age and authority?
Then when do we teach children to question authority that is corrupt or simply questionable?
Dont you think that sometimes by asking someone to be dutiful...we are actually instilling a fear, a fear of transgression?

Why try and satisfy a need in the other when we are dissatisfied ourselves.
Blind obediance is worse than slavery in my mind.
Expression and Speech if curtailed is a loss of a fundamental right!!

Allright....
I know this topic is too complex and intricate to be sorted out here entirely.
What I wish to do is not provide any quick fixes, but to raise an issue on how Patterns of Speech corrupt our thoughts into believing in its truth and invariance.

Rewrite the script folks, try to give the future a different perspective, a just and fair one for sure, not one biased by cliches.

(This is not to say I dont indulge in such cliched speech, I do..
...but it is only today that I became aware of it and its impact...)

Comments

  1. I guess we become more aware of such things when we say them to our kids and they repeat the same thing to us at some other time, out of the blue.. at least, thats how it is with me! every time samhith says something and i realise that i am the source, i am even more aware of the cliches and the 'scripts' we use in our speech, as u say..... have tried to control myself, but it hasnt worked till now... and it only frustrates me more..... if u find a way to combat this, let me know.... glad to see that others are facing the same problems that i do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you know what, we left comments on each others blog at the same time again!!!!!!

    i really enjoy photography these days... its something which keeps me sane.. apart from books of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very true !
    agree with both what u say and with Anu as well ! We realize such things when its spoken back to us at a diff time !
    And yes! we need to teach the children to question, ask without any fear.
    How many adults fear speaking out and suffer in silence even for a simple thing even at home ? they are not ready to speak out ! this needs to change as you rightly said !

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am against saying what our parents said to us...just bcos it is supposed to be:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do have my rhetoric, I'm sure and I realise it when Pattu relays it back at me at the most appropriate moment :)
    I have questioned such things as a child and am sure the next generations will do so, just that the themes would be different :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw, I think I'm delurking here for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of the time, by trying to 're-write' these scripts, I end up drafting newer ones. I guess that's how it's been done over generations. Though the intent among some parents is to avoid using statements and to come out of familiar roles, there is some link that we pass on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem