The UberMall versus the CornerGrocer

This post sounds like a Boxing match between two teams, or perhaps WWF wrestling contestants. If there was a match the UberMall could win for sheer glamour factor, but I will hand over my personal  prize to CornerGrocer!

The other day I was to make Sabudana Vadi and as I had no sabudana at home and I could not delay getting it, for you know how you need to soak it over night, I walked down to a local Mall to get it.
In spite of walking through the aisles and searching for it, I could not find it. The place somehow looked as if it badly needed some cleaning and the staff were busy watching a cricket match, quite impervious to us customers. I know that this was not their usual operational style and was a little puzzled, only to realise that the owner was not sitting at his usual place that day.

I had to buy the Sabudana, so I walked to another local grocer shop just a few metres away and asked for Sabudana. I was greeted with a bombastic smile and a spiel that blasted my ears for 2 minutes. He extolled the goodness of his sabudana, that it was different and better, and that I had to just try it and see. Then he weighed it carefully in front of my eyes and double checked because I asked him whether the weight was accurate. Wrapped the sabudana in newspaper and gave it to me with the change.

So tell me where should I go now? Who is the winner in your eyes. By all standards, hands down, the CornerGrocer!

This is not the first time I have felt this, many times when I dont feel like going into the big shops and I step into a smaller grocer shop, the difference in attitude and customer relations hits me. They make you feel wanted, they ask for your opinion and give theirs freely. Never have I stepped out of such places without a smile and perhaps an extra item in my bag which is different and unique that I have not tried before.

I agree the variety in a Ubermall is mind blowing, but the warmth and connectedness in the small grocer's shop is so very charming. Hopefully this tribe will not fade like our beloved tigers, unable to face the cut throat sharky competition of the Uber Malls.

(Plus wrapping stuff in newspaper is so much more eco friendly, why is it disappearing??)
~ssstoryteller~



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem