Living Story World! - Ainthinai landscape - Immersive Storytelling at Federation of Asian Storytellers Conference Sept 2026
COME ON A JOURNEY WITH ME TO TRAVEL THROUGH STORYLANDS!
LIVING STORY WORLD workshop was inspired by landscape as metaphor.
Here the landscape is mapped to emotions which is taken from Ainthinai Poetics (5 Landscape poetics of the Tamil Sangam Literature).
Here the listener walks along with the Storyteller experiencing and interacting with story elements (inspired by AI & Gaming Storytelling!)
How did I get this idea ?:
My journey started with Ecotherapy! In 2022, I was offered a scholarship seat to do a certificate course in Ecotherapy by UK based, Buddhist charitable organisation Tariki Trust. Later I was invited to do a Diploma in Ecotherapy by founder of Tariki Trust, Carolie Brazier.
As a stoyteller I am constatntly looking at cultural connections of my stories. In that process, one of the courses that stayed with me, was connecting to the land where I live (Archeotherapy by Harriet Sams), and knowing ways in which land, landscape,soundscapes, plays a role in our mental health.
As I researched my roots and my land from there, I came across the 2000 year old Ainthinai Literature, or Tamil Sangam Literature which maps Emotions to 5 Landscapes and had inspired poets to write poetry that spoke about the Inner world (akam) and Outer world ( puram).
Fascinated by this idea, I brought this into my storytelling. In 2024, I explored this idea in Chennai Storytelling Festival, by looking at stories that emerge from different landscapes.
Then,when there was a call for workshop proposals at the 5th FEAST Storytellers conference in 2026, I drew ideas from Ainthinai, plus brought in very exciting aspect of storytelling - Immersive& Experential storytelling to create an Original Tale which gently led the audience into the story as travellers and not just as listeners!
Here the particpants interacted with the landscape elements and were invited to create
- a mountain night soundscape,
- to embody a leaf and drift in the air,
- to become a Tree- Spirit and offer gifts to the protagonist,
- to sing,
- to dance ,
- to read or create poetry
- to draw and to experience each one of the landscape in a creative way!
Finally the story is completed by the audience themselves and they return with reflective questions that takes them, not only on an outer journey but also on an inner journey, as well.
Some of the questions we reflected upon:
1) What do you desire the most ? - Kurinji / Mountain Landscpae
2) What needs the patience of your waiting? - Mullai/ Forest Landscape
3) What is your relationship with conflict? - Marutham / Farmlands
4) What is it that is necessary for you to let go? - Neithal / Sea scapes
5) How has hardship transformed you? - Palai / Arid land
Here are some of my Storyteller particpants from the Conference who have been kind enoughto send me some feedback:
Particpants Feedback:
Santhosh from Tokyo :
I really enjoyed your workshop. It was really deep and personal. I’m glad I choose your workshop
Srishti from Mumbai:
Sowmya, you are such a warm person. There is something about your presence. Your eyes speak even before your words do, and your energy says so much without needing to say it all.
Your workshop was truly fabulous. I loved the way you explored landscapes not just as physical spaces, but as a language for emotions and storytelling. Usually, we talk about the characters in a story, but you were the first person I have come across who made me look at the setting itself as a character. The way you showed us how a setting can be romanticised, given an emotion and brought alive was so unique for me. Even something as small as a stone, a flower or a little detail in the landscape could be given a voice, a feeling and a life of its own. I found that perspective incredibly beautiful.
The way you beautifully threaded all five landscapes into one story was magical. It gave the story such depth and touched so many chords in the heart.
What I especially loved were the reflective questions you asked with each landscape. They gently turned the experience inward, giving us space for self talk, self inquiry and a deeper understanding of how our own emotions can find a home in these landscapes. That made the workshop feel very personal and meaningful.
And your props! So unique, thoughtful and beautiful. The musical instruments and the little elements you brought in made the experience wonderfully immersive. Creating that intoxicating mountain atmosphere together was such a special moment.
The workshop was interactive, fresh and full of discovery. But what stayed with me most was the warmth with which you held the entire space.
Thank you, Sowmya, for not just telling us about landscapes, but for helping us feel them, within the story, within the space, and perhaps a little within ourselves too.
Kiran from Sydney:
Sowmya's workshop transported me to all the 5 landscapes as described by Tamil poets of ancient times as she narrated an original story with 2 main characters travelling through these lands. We joined in with a repetitive refrain and interacted with the elements. I particularly liked the fact that the ending was left for us to ponder on. For me, this was a deeply reflective session that Sowmya skilfully immersed us in.
My deepest appreciation for presenting this workshop at the Storytellers' Conference in Chennai in Sepyember 2026.
Neeta from Delhi :
So I was so looking forward to attend your session and what a journey it was , you transformed us to different landscape, each time we go through different feelings and as the story changes our emotions were also changing, I could feel the joy, intensity, the pain which travel through the story, you use different instruments, fabric, flowers and handwoven craft to make it more beautiful ! You gave us different perspectives of a story and make us think how differently we can end it up , we were in the story during the whole process and at the end you gave us the baton ! Your workshop gave me deeper meaning to the stories. I am glad I attended it. Thank you so much! I am grateful ❤️
(Thanks to FEAST for selecting my workshop offering and deep gratitude to organisers Springboard Tales and Jeeva Raghunath Maam for trusting me to deliver a meaningful workshop at a conference of such calibre!)
ssstoryteller



Comments
Post a Comment