SOULTales - Character Strengths, Stories & Vocabulary

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

On goofing up..

I read this post on Maami's Weblog...and did a double take. Well, when you think that you are the only one who plays such dangerous games with the Gas and Fire then you dont want to share it with all, and confine it to the four walls and two ears of the husband.
But hey, here was someone who was openly admitting the goof they committed and the painful burns they sustained....well I did the same..except that, the previous day I left the milk to boil on the burner... ( Oh how I have come to think that the microwave is a safer option...yet goofs in that can happen too..but touch wood, not yet)...
And boil... and boil...while I locked and left the house  for the sundry jobs that I was engaged in for the Ladies club hoohaa.
Well in the first place I blame the event for my distracted state of mind...so when I reached home, a good 3 hours later...I found charred remains of the vessel. The countour visible but its contents in ashes.

I counted all the "good " I had done...I had left it on the side with the smaller flame, and in low heat. Yipee...saved myself from burning the house down.

Yet the very next day, I left the ghee container on the stove, high side on and was moral policing two tiresome and tired siblings.Panic striken I ran back into the kitchen to find the container burning, so I wisely threw some water on it...after switching the burner off, to find it was the most unwise thing to do. The flames leaped merrily and tauntingly at me.I carried it outside, but the flames burned with "gheeful" intensity.
Finally I toppled the contents into the mud patch at the back. Thanking my stars for saving me yet again.

But I am not alone I find....this aberration occurs in many from to time.
Thanks to blogging, and fellow bloggers, I dont have to feel lonely even in goofing up!!

4 comments:

  1. My God ! that was scary indeed ! Thank God you are alright ! I did the same (twice - left home to come back to a still burning gas) when I was pregnant (excuse is u r more forgetful/distracted then) but the good part was that (both the times) nothing was on the gas. Just the burner burning away ! But, thank fully, post that i am more careful and the habit has not recurred !

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly! This is bloody scary! The best we have gotten to so far is left a tap open (there was no water when we did so) and went off on a jolly shopping trip. We got frantic calls from the bldg sec and we scrambled back home to find a flooded house! the water was pouring down the staircase like a waterfall! Unfortunately our bldg does not have valves for each house!
    Take care ladies! This is bloody scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lavanya
    open burning burner is bad too...
    my nightmare is that i wld do that...leave the gas on...and come back to light a match....hahahh
    imagination...God forbid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..... this is scary!
    I thought I held the record for over boiling milk at home all the time... I have even left the bread on the tava...(to toast) which would end up being BURNT at times!
    All this being at home and running behind ... you know WHO!
    am sure if my husband is reading this blog he must be grinning away.... Well having said all this the blame game never works... we ought to be more careful specially with lill kids at home!!
    Happy cooking ladies!

    ReplyDelete