Display of another kind! My resident peacock...

 


(Click on picture for enlarged view)

I had to show you this guy who has made our garden his favourite haunt. He saunters into our front garden from time to time, and I am sure it is to peck at the juicy earthworms that abound in ours. He actually lives across the street on that person's terrace in fact. I have tried many times to capture him on camera...But it is only now that I was successful. Every time I would take out my camera he would scoot coyly away into the foliage nearby and I would be left bereft and cheated.
Finally, finally this day I managed to quietly take snaps of him as he walked through the garden, and perched himself on the off white Magnolia tree( yes that is the flower, if I am correct!)
He is an elegant guy, and gives one call..an awooo sound when he enters my garden, so I know he is there.Yet the moment I open the door to the garden, which makes the most awful sound as it creaks on its hinges, he beats a hasty retreat, and that's why I had difficulty till now. I realised my mistake, and this time opened the door a gently as I could...and though I did not get his open plummage, I am thrilled to bits about the photos...
Our own Resident Peacock..how many can boast of that??!...Yes he is the same guy who used to distract us by doing his flashy dance show on the terrace opposite as my two left for school..he is the same guy...

It's a natural display of sorts don't you think?

Within the house I have displayed dolls and man made things, and here in the garden is Nature showcasing one of her most beautiful creations on earth. I was always skeptical that a peacock is overrated in it's beauty. The reason for this is as I have only seen sad peacocks in cages, most of their plumage not having the sheen and lustre that you see in a free one.

They shed their feathers during the rainy season, and we managed to pick up two of them. They are gorgeous specimens, every feather is so complete in its beauty. The colour is deep and glowing, and the texture soft and smooth... What can I say? I never thought I would ever be sharing the same space as a peacock in my life!!
On a final note, I spied his Missus(or girlfriend),sauntering around our backyard yesterday..I am sure He has planned his rendevous with her, therabouts...
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. wow! he's so... beautiful!! and you're so lucky to see him so often.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. now should we be calling you rani sowmya and genuflect in your presence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah thats a good one geets

    yes i feel lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sowm's....ur friendly neighborhood peacock also has a practical use..it keeps snakes away...by the way...we have about 50 of these peacocks and peahens flying about my factory here at Viralimalai...all natural habitation and by law we are required to protect them..feed them every morning...they have absolutely no fear of humans and will flaunt their plummage to all and sundry...enjoy the national bird at ur doorstep.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem