Love is not Love

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.


This is Sonnet No.116, and I'm sure you know whose it is! Our own inimitable Shakespeare!
I remember reading this in school when I was in 10th standard. It has forever haunted me with its timeless thought. I never internalized the full meaning of these words back then. (I could not have!)
But now maturity, time and life has taught me how valuable, and meaningful these words are.

The love he talks about here is of course that between a man and a woman, no doubt. But if you take each couplet, you realise how we can apply to any true relationship.
A friend whom we love.
Our children,
Our Parents,
Any meaningful relationship.

Simply said; Love does not alter with time, no matter what hurdles it faces. It is a marriage of "true minds". As we understand and share and care and accept.
A loving relationship is truly a guiding star that steers us towards growth and empowerment. Passing storms may rock the boat but the love within will guide it to safety.
This feeling does not alter with passage of time, nor does it alter as rosy lips and cheeks are replaced with wrinkled brow and crow's feet.

Yet I wish to add another thought here that Shakespeare left out:
"Love alters not with his long spaces and distances"
No matter how far or physically removed we are from our loved ones in day to day life; it alters not the love we feel.

Take a look at your own meaningful relationships and if you can perceive all or some of the above, then rest assured you have loved...
...and Shakespeare is truly the King of words!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem