Lets Play!



Our new found passion is Kite flying and Bambaram 
(top spinning). 

The interest suddenly hit us and we had one Enthu-Pattani (eager-beaver) who pestered his Dad to fly the kite with him. I had to literally push the parent to take our EP upstairs to the terrace/roof and fly the kite, a special one got from France (I mention this, only to point out the significance of a Kite that travels overseas, all the way from there to here, and then lies neatly packed inside, as Safety S.Sigamani can't bear to use it b'cos it may get damaged...that's why I have to push the parent:))! 

They were there for close to 3 hours, so finally I had to make  a trip up to see what was happening....but my attention span is a fraction of that and I promptly came back after watching them for 10 minutes...I'm sure I would not have stayed flying a kite for so long...


Then we happened upon an event by Citizen Matters, a local newsletter from Kormangala. They asked us to come fly a kite and play traditional games.

We headed there, but with my near nil knowledge of kite flying, we could keep the kite up for about 2 minutes, and one elderly gentleman had to pitch in to show EP the ropes....

A silver kite was added to the one we already have, now to be flown from our roof top, a better place without any tangling...guaranteed. 








 Our poser does a good spin of the top or Bambaram as it is known in Tamil and happily for him his grandmother also taught him the traditional lingo that goes with top spinning like "mottai" and some such words used when the top falls down without spinning!


He took some time learning the art of throwing the top and making it spin...still has to learn the tricks as well...but he keeps at it and that's what I like...


Our next trial is Gilli-Danda, though he has been pestering me, I have not gone with him downstairs. I have forbidden him from doing anything with it indoors... so I need to take time for that...


I am glad these games can keep him occupied and interested...a change from just watching to actually doing it is great!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem