Story Trigger : Random encounters with strangers ( given by Storycoach Bob Kanegis)

 This trigger came via the storytell email group and sent me down memory lane!

Story trigger : An encounter with a stranger, which left a profound impact on you

Here goes :

I was walking to school one hot Chennai morning. We have to carry our books every day to school...(as we dont have a locker system.)
My school bag, hung over my left shoulder was heavy with books, as I usually carried most of them, for fear I would need them.
I was walking slowly, as the bag was heavy and then I turned a corner...to see  an old man coming towards me. He was hobbling along, was hunched and carrying a bag of sorts himself. Suddenly he stopped..looked at me and said (in tamil...our language). "What heavy burden you bear....and so unnecessary..."

He moved on...
and so did I ...

But I have never forgotten those words, nor the symbolism of what his words meant to me, many times in my life....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land tells me .... ( a poem)

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)