Verse-Space - Meeting an Elder - Tree in Conoor

 

 There in a corner you stood

Tall and ram-rod straight!

I would have missed you

If his shout had not made me run,

Towards your majestic girth.

1869 - I rub my eyes with wonder...

A hundred and fifty years ago you were planted,

To witness the passing time.

 

Hello dear ancestor, I greet you with delight.

Hello dear old tree, I hug you with tenderness.

You, my evergreen have lived a long life,

In your corner all by yourself.

Perhaps,

Whispering to your near and dear ones,

In a language known only to you.

 

Wonder what you have seen and heard and felt in all these years,

Wonder what secrets are known only to you,

Wonder what you feel about me and the hug I give you,

Wonder if you will live, long after I am gone...

 A witness to the passing time.



 

 

 

 

 









~Meeting a tree planted in 1869 ( Sims Park Coonoor ~ Nov 18th 2022)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem