My Mother is 60!!

My Mother is 60....so what does that make me....
Yep...thats right...you got it...OLD!!!

Now this is not about me, it's about her all the way.

As I flash back, I remember many incidents...some funny, some sad, some thrilling, some mundane, and mostly that she was always there....

Most of my memories of my mother is of her diligently working at something or the other, either at the kitchen, or in the garden, or in our rooms. No wonder she could maintain our spacious house single handedly!
I remember our first house, a huge sprawling one, with an even bigger garden. That's probably why she developed a passion for plants, perforce having to tend to such a big garden, the natural nurturer in her took over!

I remember the wallop my sister and I got when we got wet in the rain one afternoon!! Now I have to constantly remind myself that, when my son insists on running into the rain....

I remember how my mother took one look at my brother and the hanging arm, broken while imitating spiderman (or was that superman?), quickly pushed it back into place..yes very much like she had some training from Puttur (a place famous for repairing broken bones in Tamilnadu!!) and slinging it neatly with a towel. The doctor was so impressed, he simply had to x-ray and place the plaster!

I remember her encounters with snakes, the way she handled them would put the Korava community to shame! ( Probably teach Greg Martin a lesson or two!). The curry leaf plant harbours green tree snakes ( harmless apparently) and if you are not careful you could pluck it along with a whole branch of leaves too. Which she did.
Luckily she spotted it as it was trying to slither its way out and into our dining room, while I sat frozen in time, with my second born on my lap, about 2 feet away from all this action. She held on for dear life...yes she actually was holding the snake....superwoman....and finally managed to push it into a polythene bag!
What still stands out for me is that at this point is that the only male available (why do we look for a male?!!...dont ask me why... its a conditioning!) was our dhobi (ironwallah ), who happened to be at the door. He actually refused to hold the bag with the snake, and it took my mother and me quite a bit of convincing to make him take the bag and discard its content in some far off place!!

I remember the many, many meals she has cooked, and still keeps cooking for us based solely on our desire to eat it, or our preference. Every time I am amazed at this, this enthusiasm to feed us never wanes!!

I remember the many talks and chats we have had, much to my father's jealousy!! As I donned different roles, the relationship with her too gained different shades. Sometimes the empathy was rewarding, sometimes the criticism was irritating. Yet her presence and her opinion, which I take for granted many times, always has a bearing on my actions. As I try to balance the values given to me by her with my own individual identity.

Motherhood is never understood until one lives through it. Perspective, time and maturity are great educators.

I remember...that motherhood is how I will always remember my mother.

Happy Healthy Life Mom!
Happy Birthday!

Comments

  1. A very happy birthday to your mom!! she seems to be a really plucky lady.... come to think of it, most moms are.... arent they?? us included? we do things for our kids we would never have thought of otherwise!!! and yes, our relationship changes so much through the years as we grow and they too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm wishes to your Mom on her 60th. A wonderful post. A Mother is indispensable and I can say that anywhere any number of times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Sowmya, do wish aunty for me! Yes, it is true, we understand motherhood only when we become mothers! And it's really sad that in a patriarchal society like ours, we never celebrate 60th birthdays of moms, but celebrate dads' 6oth so lavishly! Hats off to mothers really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very Happy birthday to your mom ! May she be hale and healthy and the same ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's wishing your mom a very happy birthday! Loved the post. Sent me down the memory lane; incidentally my dad turned 60 today! Can't believe I am not there with him and the rest of the family.
    Anyhoo! Here's to great parents! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very Happy Birthday to your Mom. The post struck a chord. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very touching gift(post) by a loving daughter to her mom. many happy returns to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful post- I loved it and happy birthday to your mom, belated! I see a lot of her in Uthara (facial similarities!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all who dropped by and left their thoughts
    Here's to adulthood/ growing up/parenting!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem