Prejudice and Discrimination

I think I have mentioned this before, but methinks it's worth a re-mention now.

My daughter is greatly into pointing out discrimination, prejudice and racial biases to us and to me specifically. Though I would like her to boldly state her thoughts and feelings to all and sundry, I guess she is testing waters here and I happily try to support her views.

Skin colour and advertisements that proclaim instant fairness gets her goat, and mind you; she started this way back when she was 9; and now she is 11. She dislikes these ads and will tell you skin colour is there for a purpose and what does it serve to try and va(r)nish yourself.

Then another conversation about veg/non-veg, and discrimination on religion/ food preferences. She was very cut up that anyone can deny a house on rent because the tenant eats non-veg.

For that matter, the boy/ girl divide is another area she can take her guns out for. Typical stereotype that I am, I do make senseless statements, like the other day I said Guys and Cricket must be some kind of genetic bond; and she was so irritated with my stereotypical statement, reiterating that she too follows cricket quite avidly and I had no right to have such mind sets.

Touche` my Pussy Cat!

Totally love the claws and talons that you draw out...

Ata Girl!   

Comments

  1. after all, she is your daughter, Sowmya!!!! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These conversations are always worth having and repeating in different contexts. We have to acknowledge those reactions so that they mature into lasting values! Loads of hugs and love to you both!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity - The 3 Diamonds - Tamil folktale

Perspective - The Rose Bush and the Snail (HCAnderson)

Just another day for you and me in Paradise - poem